Friday, May 30, 2008

Self Portraits

These photos are all self-portraits taken using the timer on my camera. It was problematic to get the photos focused, but many of them turned out. Also, in developing the film, one of the rolls is higher in contrast as I forgot to dilute the developer. However, I did not use filters to lower the contrast because I think the higher contrast looks better and more artistic.


This image was created using the sabattier technique in the darkroom . After many attempts, I was able to produce this image with a higher contrast.

This image demonstrates what happened when the image was not completely dry before I re-exposed the image to straight light. The black marks are where the water was.

This is the test strip I used in guessing the correct exposure for the sabattier pictured above.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Multiple Exposures

These pictures were taken by exposing the film multiple times in the camera. All of the pictures I took depended on the camera to accurately expose the multiple images and the exposure was not changed, which made it so that some images turned out overexposed. Yet some of the images did work, as seen below.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Double Exposure in Lab

These pictures were made by exposing two negatives onto one print in the lab, using burning and dodging techniques.

This image was burned so that the image of the girl only showed up on the book. This print is slightly blurry because one of the negatives was out of focus.

These two images were the same negatives yet with different exposures of the picture of the peace sign. Again, I burned and dodged around the images to keep the contrast.

This image was done as if I were exposing each negative normally.

The larger image is out of focus and there is also a line where the burning/dodging wasn't done well...

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Negative Sandwiching

These pictures were created by "sandwiching" two negatives together in the lab and then printing. A challenge I faced was keeping the two negatives flat against each other in order to keep both images in focus.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Advanced Photograms

The advanced photograms were made by projecting an image and then putting some type of material between the projected image and the photopaper to make the pattern appear there. For the first and second image, I had some difficulty getting the words and map to turn out focused even though I used glass to flatten them. The third image was created by exposing the full image onto the photopaper for half of the time and then putting the puzzle pieces on the photopaper for the second half of the time, creating a full image yet also creating a pattern within the image. The last image was created by laying a hand on the photopaper, exposing the paper, and then projecting an image onto the paper. The image showed up only where the hand had previously been.

Bracketing (Light and Dark: +/- 1.5)

This bracketing assignment was done + and - 1.5 on my camera to show the effects of underexposing and overexposing a white or dark subject. For the white images, it seems that the overexposed picture shows more detail than the other two, whereas for the dark images, the original seems to show the most detail. A challenge with the dark images was that one of them is out of focus and is harder to compare.
Light image- underexposed

Light- overexposed

Light- Original

Dark- Original

Dark- Overexposed

Dark- Underexposed